Sunday, March 6, 2011

the intro

It seems appropriate that my inaugural post be a brief introductory piece and/or autobiography of myself to clue you in on who I am and how I got here. My name is Zachariah Daniel Kanet and I was raised as an upscale suburbanite of Evansville, Indiana.  Newburgh, or really Paradise, Indiana for those of you that know the area, is known mostly for it's population of upper-middle class income families who try and live a ritzy and lavish lifestyle. This hilly, pine and oak laden slice of heaven is what I called 'home' for the majority of my life. Most other people of the Tri-State area don't feel as positively toward this side of the greater metropolitan and have even nicknamed and redefined the Castle High School mascot from a Castle Knight to the more endearingly known Castle High Cake Eaters. Regardless, of people's preconceived notions of the place, it is truly a great community to actually raise a family, retire and ultimately expire.

I grew up in the country club and learned quickly the difference between new and old money, classy and pretentious, trendy and gaudy. Here, I was schooled in the art of being suave, having savviness and keeping my overly judgmental thoughts to myself. However, the more I learn about the world, the more opinions I seem to gather and keep in. Therefore, this blog will serve to help fill the void of not being able to verbalize thoughts, opinions, criticisms and simple general ramblings that I have about a variety of different topics. Additionally, my inner tech-geek should help to keep my posts and the medias used to distribute them a little more interesting.

Before I conclude my introduction, there's about a handful of other things that you might as well know about me in order to help you better understand my personality and what is to come from this blog. First, I have been an athlete all my life. Competing in a number of different sports up to and through high school, I have been proud to represent the University of Evansville Aces as a Division I butterfly swimmer. After years of sports, it's only natural that I tend to approach most situations in a competitive mindset and nature and that I try to turn most things into a competition. I've also learned over the years that this trait has the uncanny ability to place me in unique situations, sometimes more or less desirable than most people would appreciate, but those unique occurrences can be looked at as learning and growing experiences.  To continue forward, I'll also admit that my competitive spirit is what contributes to one of my other character-defining tendencies which is to be highly involved and active in many things. This quality happens to lend itself to me having a multitude of experiences within a wide variety of activities and, thus, allowing me to be highly opinionated on all of them including fraternities and Greek life. One last thing to know in efforts to better understand me is that I have an entrepreneurial spirit and am pretty business minded. I'm interested in personal and professional development, yet I have a quirky side and can be pretty light-hearted. I know when to get serious, but I also know how and when to have a good time. Everything else is for you to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment